Tuesday, November 2, 2010

2011 Asian Mini Calendar

When I saw Lisa Johnson's (www.poppypaperie.typepad.com) Mini Fold Book on 10-22-2010, I just had to make one. Please go to her blog for the full tutorial on how to make this project. I did slightly tweak the cover measurements so finished project is 3" x 1/2" x 3-1/2". I added a black rayon bookmark which acts like a cord - it's thread through the spine, then tied....... like the small 3/4" brass coin on the end?

Back View:

Close-up of the 2" brass medallion etched with a Dragon and a Phoenix: because it was brass, I used my glue gun to make sure it is securely attached.

Open to reveal the inside cover. Yup, there is black custom colored Velcro on the right side and a clear Velcro on the left side. The white color just stood out like a sore thumb. These Velcro attachments are way cool because they are so thin!!!

Here are the inside monthly calendars:

Overview:

To make this calendar, I had some stamped textured paper dying to be used for a project............opportunity knocks!!!! So without thinking twice, I cut the paper up into 1-3/4" x 2-3/4" for the front flap,back inside flap, and left inside flap. Another piece 2-3/4" x 2-3/4" was cut for the calendar back cover..
Here are the cut and trimmed computer generated calendars. 2011 is stamped using Real red ink and my (finally used)" Just Right" Brayton stamp set..............now how long have I had this stamp set? and was finally able to use it. I ain't telling. Yeek.....and I had to dust off my stamp-a-mah-jig, too.

Adhere monthly calendars to the strips. Then adhere backside of Feb. to March, etc.

To make a custom black Velcro: first punch out a 5/8" circle to be used as a template. Then color using a permanent marker. Allow to dry.

Results of coloring the Velcro:
I will be making more of these - there is a huge opportunity to further embellish this project.
Thank you for stopping by today.....................................

6 comments:

Kitty said...

hi patty which for a great idea, i love it.
hugs sabine

Rhonda Miller said...

What a great idea. TFS.

- - Sheryl - - said...

love it! off to check out her blog

Whimcees said...

Hi Patti!

This is a wonderfu idea! Love the beautiful colors!

Hope that all is well with you and your family. Wishing you a good day today!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

eunice said...

Oh Patti, what a terrific idea for gifts! I really love how your mini calendar turned out. The asian brass coin and rayon cord book mark are the perfect touch. Can't wait to see the others you've done as well...you've got me really wanting to try these...wish there was more time!

Antonella said...

This is such a beautiful project. I will have to give it a try and add family photos and use it like a brag book! hugs, antonella :-)