Thursday, February 3, 2011

Celebrating Chinese New Year

Today is the first day of Chinese New Year (the lunar calendar). This year, I thought I would be totally "out of the box" and not use the traditional red envelope (called "Lai See" or Lucky Money envelopes). I wanted to utilize these cute little boxes which are printed with the traditional Chinese Dress. They are very similar to the 2-4-6-8- box but of course, with them being printed, they evoke more conversation!!!! Their size is petite: 2" x 1-2/2" x 3". These "gifts are usually given to the "unmarried" from a married couple.................yes, even if you are 40 years old, you would get Lucky Money due to the single status.

The Female and Male version close-up:

This is what you get inside: Crisp lucky money and sweets!!!
I hadn't seen these cute little boxes anywhere here in the US - they are from Shanghai, China so if you know anyone going, get them them to purchase themf or you at the local retail market!!!
And, a Happy New Year of the Rabbit to all!!!!

8 comments:

mypaperpleasure said...

Patti, it is a wonderful idea for the celebration, thanks for the fun.
恭喜發財, 新年進步

eunice said...

Happy New Year, Patti! Gee...I wish I were single so I could receive one of these cute lai see! Such an adorable idea!

June K. said...

Patti, these are SO adorable. Love the dress pattern.

Kannan said...

Good blog.

Whimcees said...

Hello!

I hope that all is well with you and your family! Miss your postings! Wishing you a good day today!

Hugs,

Barbara Diane

Anonymous said...

Love to see this... and learn about the tradition

Would you deconstruct the envelope and provide measurements?

Kannan said...

Nice post.

Anonymous said...

Patti,

I love your blog so much! My favorite11 I hope all is well with you! I am missing your posting..
Susie McCormick