Tuesday, December 20, 2011

2011 Cookie Exchange

For the annual Cookie Swap: I made Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies. I first saw this recipe on was found on Lilybean Paperie's blog site........link is here. The actual recipe is on Simply Living's Blog here . Instead of just a plain recipe card, I decided to make a card-like recipe card with a mitten and wooden spoon on the outside. Gingerbread Chalet Village SVG Collection cut file was used from SVGcuts.com. The mitten and wooden spoon was re-sized to fit the 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" recipe card. To attach the mitten to the recipe card, I used small 1/2" x 1" acetate to make a hinge. These hinges can be cut off later for an embellishment if desired. Mitten is textured and wooden spoon is stamped (see my blog post here for the card). Use SU Close to Cocoa to sponge everywhere and even made some smudgy marks on the mitten. My Silhouette to cut and stamp on tag is from Hampton Art: Kiss the Cook. Add a little red/white gingham bow along with a Red Stickles heart makes this recipe card different.

Yummy cookies: they are about 1-1/2" size. Crunchy and chewy (because of the caramel)
And, here is the recipe: (some notes after I baked them)
I reduced the Alpine Cider packs to 7 (instead of 10), and also cut the Caramels into quarter pieces since my cookies were smaller in size. I used the smallest cookie scoop instead of the medium one and placed them 1-1/2" apart on the parchment lined cookie sheet. I didn't seem to have to cool them upside down nor had any problems taking them off the parchment when they were slightly cool so best, if you bake these try what works for you. For this size cookie, I got about 77 pieces (instead of 48).

Hope you enjoy this recipe............I forgot to put the Baking Powder in the first batch. They were still OK. The difference is that they were not "puffy" but still tasted really good - I thought I would pass that info on to those who don't have Baking Powder handy. Another foot note: date of Lilybean Paperie post is on 11/7/2011 and NOT on 11/13/2011 as noted on the recipe card.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These sound Yummy! I, too, prefer to make smaller cookies since I give a lot away. Did you reduce the cooking time for the smaller ones?

Paula said...

Gotta love Christmas cookies! I make about 5 different kinds and give some away to family, and keep some for my family :)

Paula
lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

Creations by Patti said...

To answer Lisa's question: when I bake, I usually reduce the time because I have a Viking stove and usually bake with the convection on for more even baking, the time is shorter. The convection helps to circulate the air in the oven for a more even baking. I have to watch the first batch and adjust accordingly. In this case, the actual baking time was 12 mins for my stove. It depends on the "browness" of the cookie edges you desire.
Patti

Jan Castle said...

These sound absolutely wonderful!!! I can almost smell them!
Thanks Patti!!!
Jan